Monday, April 27, 2009

Family Trait or Excuse??

He couldn't get it


I explained again


He stared at it..dumb-founded


I started to get agitated


Patience! my heart cautioned


He stares at it


Hands unmoved


Come on! I said


What? He retorted


I repressed all anger


He subdued all his frustration


A fraction of memory relived..


How familiar this seems?


Could this be me?


I stopped..sighing


With forced patience


I explained yet again


Slowly, very slowly he uttered..


I understand..


Do it, then!! I half yelled


His hands traces the empty space


Wanting to write..but


N-O-T-H-I-N-G..


He starts to shake..


I start to scream..







"IT'S JUST BASIC ALGEBRA, IVAN!!!"






Ed's so far ok with math but he struggled.. like him.. I struggled too. I was worse than him actually. :P I failed add math till trials came and even then, 44 was all I got. How many times I cried when I attempted those questions!! Not until form 5 did I started to like numbers again.. After much hardship I discovered a joy in doing math and algebra. I was so happy when I saw B3 next to the word, Additional Mathematics. I leaped with joy practically. :D

Still..there is this trait between us.. to put it plainly.. WE'RE TERRIBLE AT MATH!!! Yet, it's not an excuse. So what if we're not so mathematical scientific? That does not give us the right to say we can flunk it. Sigh... I used to detest numbers so much, but I got to like it, I got to enjoy it, if there is a family trait here at all.. my little bro would hopefully find his way to like math too.. :)

Work hard little man! :)





5 comments:

Mel said...

I suck at Math too. All my life. I did, my sister did, my brother too but my youngest brother scored with flying colours.

But the 3 of us are good at language, history and art. We love painting and drawing. But my youngest brother is one weirdo who's obsessed with numbers and Mandarin which we cannot even understand any.

I used to cry when I can't do math when I was in primary school. My mom would lock me in the toilet because I can't remember the times table. I would hide a novel somewhere in the toilet so every time I get locked up, I'd read :)

My mom'd yell, "What is 7 x 5?!"

And I'll whisper to myself, "Not like Enid Blyton cared."

"Oii!! What's 7 x 5??!!"

"I want to read books all day when I grow up!!" And now that's exactly what I do.

My mom was silent.

I yelled again, "35!"

I was 7 and a half. :)

Jane Low said...

Haa..

Remember I used to HATE math?
Especially Algebra.. remember?!?

ARGH, I STILL hate it :)

So go easy on him..

Your best friend was a math dummy before. Still am actually, just the algebra part. I rock in the probability!

:)

Anonymous said...

I laughed and laughed till I sat on the floor with my hands on my abs because it reminds me of the days in high school where I sat and explain to you and Jane on Math. LOL. :D

*winks* I thought you have more patience than I do? :D

Unfortunately, in my math class over in the Uni, I am getting a hundred percent. yikes. I guess I am one of the Nerds after all. HAHA

Carmen said...

Ms Mel: HA!!I found another friend!!I sucked at math like nobody's business..but my mom doesn't lock me in the toilet. :)

My dad knocks my head with a heavy object though..HIGH FIVE!! Me and my elder bro are language ppl..we do well in bm and english but math is downhill for us..Thank God I don't take math anymore.. :D

Jane: well my math ain't any better until I had to do add math.I was forced to master algebra..Remember we used to do math liek crazy together before spm came?haha..it wasn't so bad rite?well i'll try to keep him alive. ;)

Rong: Yes..I get the feeling your like.."Now who does that remind me of..." ;) Ya,those were the days that I was so weak with algebra that you get pissed teaching me!gosh..look how far we've come! Yes..your a nerd dear.. tsktsk..

rach said...

this is totally opposite from my brothers and i. surprisingly maths is our strength. i love numbers and rarely picked up books. am always outdoors :D and we dont get locked up in the toilet. mum goes straight to the rotan! my elder bro is strong in language (well, everything heh)

" And I'll whisper to myself, "Not like Enid Blyton cared." " - HAHA. SO cheeky and cute.