Wednesday, August 20, 2008

E.E.Cummings ~

l(a

le
af
fa

ll

s)
one
l

iness



This is a poem by E.E. Cummings. Yes, as weird as it may seem..this is a poem. I think out of all the poems we studied in literature this would be my favorite. At first impression this poem seems nothing more than codings but it actually holds so much hidden meaning in it. If you look at the poem vertically, you won't get it, but if you turn it horizontal...


l(a leaf falls)oneliness If you take away the words in the bracket and the baracket itself...

loneliness


Get it??? Even then, 4 words don't seem to mean much eh? This poem actually talks a lot about life. Think about it.. it's actually very simple. Simple as it may seem, it's sophisticated at the same time. Life..like how a falling leaf would be, the falling process is short but slow all at the same time. Picture how a piece of falling leaf would look like. It glides gently in the air in a pretty slow pace like as if it would take forever to touch the ground but when you look at the watch it only took a few seconds.


One of the main things I think this poem strikes me the most is the message that life is actually very short and brief but at the same time long and draggy. There's 2 sides to the coin, it's short yet long. Life can go by us so quickly and if we are not appreciative of what we have, it'll soon burn out like a candle and that's it.. Yea, I know it's complicated but it's meaningful despite being simple.



When I first read this, I was like "Har..?this is a poem?more like codings.." Then when Ms Melalyn and all of us discussed the shape and messages this peom conveys, the entire picture is clearly painted out. I was shocked and very impressed by this short poem. I won't go on about what I wrote in my essay cause it's too long winded and crappy but think about it... isn't life depicted this way?


What do you think?? :)

No comments: