Friday, August 29, 2008

So why study Lit? (continued)

Okay.. coming back to the question, "why study lit?" Sigh* I know there's no definite answer but I'm not satisfied with not finding out either. The more I answer I don't know..the more I want to know.. this is the part about being a girl.. hahaha.. typical!

I did however put this question aside over the weekend but somehow 3 other people asked me by chance this week the same question, "hey, so why did you take up Literature?" It's like I have to answer for real this time.

I would say, I like learning literature. In fact, I love it a lot! I began to notice that I look forward to reading poems more than anything else. I began to notice I try to think more than is needed. How shall I put it..? It's just like I'm being trained to be a lit student from scratch. Your senses tries to be more alert to things which to most people it may seem...ordinary?

I'm sure even till now that I do want to do psychology after A-Levels, that I'm sure but I feel a little guilty and wasteful to just forget all I learnt in Lit. Of course there's always the option to do a double degree or a twinning programme but that means I'll spent more time studying before earning. I think i began to understand why mom was greatly encouraging me to come for A-Levels instead of jumping into foundation straight away. Maybe that extra time would prepare me better to choose what road I want to take hence forth.

I think as sure as a person can be sometimes, God will put you to the test and it's His way of giving us an option in life, a second choice. It's still months away before I need to worry about this but the actual comes down to either a twinning or double in either psychology and law or psychology and lit. Wah..tough choice!

Eunice asked yesterday, "Eh..why did want to take literature anyway?" I was a little dumbfounded at first but I think I gave an answer something like that, "That was actually the first subject I choose, Law and Econs were the only subjects I think I could cope with. I really like studying Lit cause I enjoyed it with Pn Lyla back in school so I did the same when I came into MCKL." Eunice said it was good that it was my first choice and that I like it cause not many poeple who will truly enjoy it these days.

Everyone keeps saying that I'll become a lawyer and I don't think I would (I hope not la..) not that I don't like it but I just think my family doesn't need 2 lawyers. Ahahaha..! I want to become a psychologist cause one I love to talk and two cause I want to help people by talking them through their lowest moments in life and just be there for all those I love and care about.

Well..this post is long enough, I'll leave it here first...maybe I'll find more answers.. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE literature. But it's the understanding it that kills :)

Glad you're enjoying what you missed last year.

Carmen said...

Hahahaha...yea...the few months with Pn Lyla was really enjoyable! Loving it all over again!!

rach said...

i take lit for fun :P something diff from the sciences i guess. but i wont pursue a degree or anything more. heh.. not my thing. its awesome though. fun!

Carmen said...

I agree Rachel!For me,it's something I never knew I would like so much.I never did like to read,not until my two best friends got me hooked on books.I guess maybe it's God's plan for me to find it and like it.

I won't think too far though..step by step. :) Who knows maybe I'll be a literature student come psychologist!haha! =D